Should I be concerned about carbon monoxide in my home?

You should be very concerned. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas produced during the combustion of fuels. It’s colorless, odorless, tasteless, and most of all very lethal. Even trace amounts can impair your brain function and impact your health. Cracks, leaks, obstructions and other malfunctions in your heating system can cause carbon monoxide to develop and accumulate.
Short-term exposure to carbon monoxide usually results in flu-like symptoms: nausea, headaches, dizziness, fatigue. Long-term exposure can eventually lead to unconsciousness or death.
McDonald Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning recommends the following to minimize carbon monoxide risk:
• Keep heating equipment in good repair by scheduling regular inspection and maintenance.
• Keep furnaces, chimneys, and vents free of obstruction. Watch out for birds, squirrels and other animals who sometimes build nests in these areas.
• Install a carbon monoxide detector, available at any home supply store.
• Periodically open windows in winter to let in fresh oxygen-rich air inside and let out any potential carbon monoxide.
• If you use a gas stove or heater, look at the color of the pilot light. The flame should be at least 80 percent blue. If the flame is mostly yellow, it could be producing carbon monoxide, so have the unit checked by a professional immediately. Be sure to tune up your gas system at least once a year.
Today’s modern heating systems burn cleaner than older systems, minimizing or eliminating your risk of carbon monoxide exposure. But please if you have any concerns please contact McDonald Plumbing, Heating, and Air for more information.
For more information contact McDonald Plumbing, Heating and Air at (916) 233-4194.

Schedule A Technician