Detecting a Deadly Gas in Your Home

NEWS RELEASE

Detecting a Deadly Gas in Your Home

Sacramento, California,– For every upside there’s a downside. That is a principle that seems to be in play for any number of modern conveniences. For example, mobile phones allow us to stay in constant contact (for good or bad), but also bring risk when they are used in unsafe situations (such as texting while driving).

Or take your household heater. It can be a true lifesaver when the coldest days of winter arrive in <Sacramento>. Yet it also has the potential to be the source of a deadly gas if a faulty part of the equipment goes undiscovered.

“If there’s one message we could get out to people in this community before they turn their heaters on for winter, it’s this: get a CO check,” said <Vince McDonald> of <McDonald Plumbing, Heating and Air>.

“CO” is the shorter way to say “carbon monoxide,” <Vince> explained. This odorless, colorless and toxic gas has long been known to cause serious injury or even death for the unsuspecting. “You can’t see it, taste it or smell the toxic fumes,” <Vince> cautioned, “so it can kill you before you even know it’s in your home.” Even at lower levels of exposure, CO can produce symptoms that could easily be mistaken for the flu. These include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.

“Carbon monoxide doesn’t just appear in the house spontaneously,” <Vince> added. “It has a source, and your furnace is one of the potential sources.” Gas or oil furnaces, as well as gas ranges, gas clothes dryers or gas water heaters are among the appliances that can produce carbon monoxide. It can also come from space heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills and wood-burning stoves. Additionally, fumes from running automobile engines in an attached garage can enter a home through walls or doorways.

“You could have CO trouble if your furnace is poorly maintained, or if the flue is improperly sized, blocked or leaking,” <Vince> said. “Checking for any of these potential problems is one of the very important preventive services we provide for our customers. We also highly recommend the installation of carbon monoxide detectors.”

For more information on carbon monoxide prevention, call <McDonald Plumbing, Heating and Air> at <(916) 456-4738> or visit <www.mcdonaldphac.com>.

Schedule A Technician